Australian citizenship changes are back on the government’s agenda. The Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment Bill 2017 has been given a ‘high priority’ status for introduction and passage in the coming 2018 spring session of the Parliament.
If you qualify to apply for Australian citizenship, now is the time to apply. Citizenship applications must be prepared and lodged including full and precise information at the time of application. We can assist you to apply for citizenship to avoid lengthy delays or refusal of your application. We are currently offering a reduced fee to assist all those who meet requirements. Contact us to arrange an application.
Current requirements to apply for Citizenship
Expected new requirements for Citizenship applications
It is expected that new legislation will enforce the following:
- applicants to pass a stand-alone English test, involving reading, writing, listening and speaking – a functional english score is expected, eg at least the equivalent of IELTS 4.5 average
applicants required to live in Australia as a permanent resident for at least four years (instead of one year at present);
- citizenship test to include new and more meaningful questions that assess an applicant’s understanding of – and commitment to – Australia’s shared values and responsibilities;
- applicants will be required to show the steps they have taken to integrate into and contribute to the Australian community. Examples would include evidence of employment, membership of community organisations and school enrolment for all eligible children.
- limitations will be imposed regarding the number of times an applicant can fail the citizenship test to three (at present there is no limit to the number of times an applicant can fail the test);
- automatic fail for applicants who cheat during the citizenship test.
If you believe you meet current requirements to apply for Citizenship contact us to arrange an application.