Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482 : English test exemptions

In order to apply for a 482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa, depending on your occupation you will need to obtain an equivalent english IELTS score of at least 5 in each component -or- a score of 5 average with a minimum of 4.5.

Do you qualify for an English test exemption?

In some cases, an English test will not be required if you meet one of the following criteria:

An English test exemption applies to:

(a)  an applicant who is a citizen of, and who holds a valid passport issued by, one of the following countries:

(i)  Canada;

(ii)  New Zealand;

(iii)  the Republic of Ireland;

(iv)  the United Kingdom;

(v)  the United States of America; or

(b)  an applicant who has completed at least 5 years of full‑time study in a secondary education institution or higher education institution where the instruction was delivered in English; or

(c)  an applicant who has been nominated by a standard business sponsor in relation to an occupation that will be performed at:

(i)  a diplomatic or consular mission of another country; or

(ii)  an Office of the Authorities of Taiwan located in Australia; or

(d)  an applicant:

(i)  who has been nominated in relation to an occupation that requires the applicant to hold a licence, registration or membership to perform the occupation; and

(ii)  who has been granted that license, registration or membership; and

(iii)  who, for the purposes of the grant of that license, registration or membership, was required to demonstrate a level of English language proficiency that is equivalent to, or better than, the level of English language proficiency that is required to achieve the required test scores for an approved English language test that the applicant would have been required to achieve but for this paragraph; or

(e)  who:

(i)  is employed by a company operating an established business overseas; and

(ii)  is nominated by a standard business sponsor who is that company or an associated entity of that company; and

(iii)  will receive annual earnings of at least AUD96,400.

To ensure you obtain precise information for your specific situation please arrange an appointment with our Registered Migration Specialist. Our Migration Specialist will conduct a full migration assessment and advise which visa option or pathway is best for you. Find out more about what a full migration assessment involves.