From Student to Partner visa

1 March 2015

A number of clients have asked whether it is possible to work full-time whilst a Partner visa is being processed. A Bridging Visa A (BVA) is granted as soon as the Partner visa application is lodged however the BVA will only come into effect once your current visa expires and in most cases, full work rights are granted.

If you are the holder of a Student visa which is not due to expire for quite some time you must comply with student visa conditions until a decision is made on your partner visa or if the BVA comes into effect. Please note, some agents and lawyers advise that is possible to cancel your student visa and then apply for a Bridging Visa E and request work rights however this is not recommended as it can create a number of complications and put your eligibility at risk for the Partner visa. If you are desperate to work full-time talk to us about your situation.