Are you Eligible for Medicare?

491 and 494 visa applicants

If you are granted a Subclass 491 or 494 visa, you will be eligible for a temporary Medicare card. The 491 and 494 visas allow all holders regardless of country of passport to obtain a Medicare card.

Medicare for permanent residency applicants

Once you are a permanent resident or Australian citizen you are entitled to receive medicare benefits which includes free access to public hospital health care, however you may also be eligible if you are not yet an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

If you have lodged an application for permanent residency you may be entitled to medicare. The following conditions apply:

  • you must hold a valid temporary visa and have permission to work; or
  • you must hold a valid temporary visa and have a parent/spouse/de facto partner/child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • you have not applied for a parent visa

To apply, the following will be required:

  • Passport/s for each applicant
  • Copy of your current visa grant letter
  • Visa application acknowledgement letter and payment receipt
  • If you do not have permission to work, proof of your relationship with a spouse, parent or child who is an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident

To lodge an application and for more information, refer to the medicare website and the Medicare enrolment application form

Reciprocal health care agreements

The Australian Government has arranged Reciprocal Health Care Agreements for citizens of certain countries which means that if you are a citizen of an eligible country you can receive medicare benefits whilst holding a valid temporary visa.

You must be a citizen of one of the following countries: United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Belgium, Norway, Slovenia, Malta or Italy.

Keep in mind that you will be able to access medicare only for a certain period and each time you re-enter Australia you can re-apply. Refer to the RHCA info on the medicare website for more information.